The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Trash to Tangible Treasure

Lisa Dill enjoys her job as an educator at Ball High, working as a career advisor and internship coordinator. But like so many other teachers, Dill has a most interesting pastime that delightfully makes her a little money and helps the environment at the same time. After she leaves the classroom, Dill returns to her blossoming art business based on turning trash to treasure! Using materials others discard without a second thought, she creates art commenting on environmental issues and offers the art through her business Lisa Dill, Reel Dill Art.

Growing up around art, she’s always known it was her passion. Dill graduated from the University of Houston in 2017 with a degree in visual arts and applied design. That year, she started entering competitions, using her art to bring awareness to the trash on the beaches and how it endangers the lives of all animals. The first contest she entered was the Artist-Boat Ocean Debris Contest with a work titled “Sea Change Sea Horses. Dill walked away with first prize.

In 2020, she had so much time because of the Covid epidemic that Dill decided to start selling her art. When talking about her creating process, she said that “the trash she uses almost speaks to her, taking a life of its own and directing her hands to create.”

Like many works of art, some people don’t appreciate the trash to art pieces. Dill said she’s been told “I wouldn’t want that in my house.” But she’s also received many more compliments about her work and positive feedback about her efforts to make the world a better place.

Dill remains passionate about the environment, using her art to show people how beautiful the world around us truly is and can be with a little help from everyday people.