The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

The Epidemic Among Gen-z

After the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020, employers reported that the newer generation of people in the workforce have become “lazy” and “unproductive”. They claim this is because after the pandemic, younger people may have experienced setbacks and fallout when it comes to having the motivation to do anything.

A majority of high school and college students went to school online, which only feeds into the lack of motivation and need to be on technology to get any work done. Laura Davis, director at the John Ball Zoo in Michigan claims “They’re not looking to be productive,” when referring to this generation. “If they’re not told what to do, if someone isn’t managing every second and keeping them busy, their inclination is not to self-identify what they can do — it’s to do nothing.”

For the past few days while on my way to school, all the radio stations have been putting out their two cents on this issue of younger people. Now, I know I am young and part of the problem generation, but I do believe technology has taken over the world more than ever and is melting everyone’s brains. I know few people near my age who take the initiative to go outside and get a job, let alone finish their homework.

I am honestly disappointed with how this generation has turned out, but who is to blame at this point? Is it the influence of others, or the parents who refuse to do their job as a parent and just give their child a tablet to watch when they scream? Either way, both are wrong and need to be changed if we want to have any sort of hope for the future.