The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Schools Up
School's Up
May 15, 2024

End of a Championship Basketball Season

That’s a wrap! The Tors Basketball Season has come to an end.

The Ball High Tors Basketball Team (23-10 overall, and 10-2 in district) made it to playoffs, and lasted three rounds, which hasn’t been done in years! The boys’ first playoff game was against the Goose Creek Memorial Patriots at Pasadena High School. The Tors played a hard game, going neck and neck with the Patriots. The Tors went into overtime, but with the Tors determination to not give up, they were able to take the win home, which was the first playoff win in 13 years.

Some honorable players of this game were Taj Petteway, Jonah Williams, and Phoenix Pope.  Petteway scored 28 points and had eight rebounds. Williams scored 14 points and had nine rebounds while Pope scored nine points and seven rebounds. With all the Tors’ hard work, this rolled into round two playoffs!

The boys’ second playoff game against Fulshear High School took place at Shadow Creek High School. The Tor’s defense was on fire that night! With Jonah Williams and Saiaiki Jones’ defense against Fulshear, the Tors were able to take the win home. Coach Temple said that “Collectively, as a team, they all played great defense, but Jonah played great defense. He always ignites our defense. Saiaiki Jones is a beast in there, too.”

With this win, it led to round three of the playoffs against Port Arthur High School at Channelview High School. This by far was the hardest match of the season. The Tors played a hard game, and with Jonah Williams on the sideline because of a controversial call by the referee in the second playoff game, the Tors fought hard to take the win home but lost by a score of 38-50.

The Tors played a fantastic season and we’ll be saying bye to some great seniors. Ashton Sonnier, Alejandro Hernandez, and Connor O’Donohoe are some great players that we’ll be graduating in the Spring. All three of the seniors have been a part of the Tor Basketball program for four years. We wish you luck for what’s to come and hope that you have a great rest of your senior year. Good Luck and Congratulations to the Class of 2024 Tor Basketball Seniors, and good luck to the rest of the basketball team for their next season to come!