The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Magnetized Fishing: The Latest Fad

A new craze is taking over the world, being all over popular social media app TikTok, called “magnet fishing.” It involves looking for magnetic objects using a large magnet attached to a strong rope. They’re strong enough to pull up objects such as bikes, coins, and more. Many people enjoy it; however, it has unspoken dangers.

When magnet fishing, people go in not knowing what they might find, which can have unforeseen consequences. People can accidentally find guns, undetonated explosives, and other items. Not only can it be dangerous to the person involved, but it can also be dangerous as the weapons found could be connected to unsolved crimes.

The legality of this activity depends on where the fisherman is operating. Although legal in most places in the US, in other countries it can be illegal without a permit or written permission. For example, in England and Wales, the Canal & River Trust owns most of the bodies of water (and by extension the items in the water) out of which people magnet fish, making it illegal to participate in the activity.

Regardless of legal challenges, people still find ways to enjoy this hobby and embrace the risk. “I have access to thousands of boat ramps, thousands of fishing piers, thousands of sea walls, where pedestrians walk by or where people throw things in the water, accidentally drop things in the water from their boats,” says Jose Torres, a YouTuber who has gained a few thousand subscribers for his magnet fishing content. Magnet fishing is a fast-growing hobby for young people worldwide.