The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Tor Speech and Debate Dominate Tournament

At the Clear Falls HS “Knights” Texas Forensic Association Speech & Debate Tournament held Sept. 15th-16th the T debaters competed in the first competition of 2023-24. With 15 schools competing, Galveston Ball achieved top honors.

Our Poetry Interpreters… Advanced from Prelims, thru Semi-Finals to the Finals, comprising three of the six Finalists. Karina Pedroza…Won First Place and kicked off the year as the tournament champion. Team Captain Brianna Alonzo…Won 2nd Place. Senior Letterman Toniesha Martinez…Rounded out BHS’s Poetry Interpretation Finalists…Winning 5th place.

‘Having three of six Finalists in this event is a tribute to the talent and personal competitive academic motivation of these young ladies,” Head Coach Michael Merritte said.

In the Event of Impromptu Speaking (two minutes to prep & then deliver a five-minute speech on the topic of Fear). Galveston Ball’s Public Speakers advanced from prelims to the Semi’s comprising three of six Semi-Finalists, they include… Ezekiel Zein-Eldin, Morgan Glenn and Brianna Alonzo

And, competing in their first ever HS Congressional Debate competition, BHS Novice Debaters ranked in the top 10 out of their Congressional Chamber of 17…

Luke Perez was voted 3rd Best Congressman

And Joseph Casazza ranked 7th Best Congressman

Congratulations to the entire team and Observers who gave up their weekend to scout out the talent and personal commitment required by follow HS peers and members of our nationally and state recognized Speech & debate Team.