The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

The Epidemic Among Gen-z
The Epidemic Among Gen-z
February 29, 2024
Swifting Rights
Swifting Rights
February 29, 2024
Romanticizing Romance
February 29, 2024
It Ain’t Old Glory
It Ain’t Old Glory
February 29, 2024
The Struggle Continues
The Struggle Continues
February 29, 2024

The Struggle Continues

Gloria Steinem once said, “The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.” In this quote she is simply stating that we must unlearn the old ways of our corrupt society. This is a concept that sadly many people still fail to grasp. Since the beginning of time women have been fighting for one simple thing; equal rights to their bodies, minds, and lives. Feminists have been begging people to unlearn the old ways of patriarchy and sexism with little cooperation from the other end of the argument. It is a relentless, endless, and seemingly hopeless battle that has been going on since the nineteenth century.

So, what exactly is feminism? When a woman states that she’s a feminist people tend to jump to conclusions. Suddenly she is painted as a man-hating liberal who believes women should rule the world. The truth is feminism is none of that.

The right to equal pay, the right to feel safe walking down the street alone, the right over their own body, the right to not be belittled and biased against when compared to a man; that’s the real ideas that feminists strive for. Women have shed so much blood, sweat, and tears begging people of higher power to change the way things are, but are still not successful enough.

On the other hand, it is often argued that women have equal rights to men today, and although it is better than it used to be, women are still treated as unequal to men in so many parts of their everyday lives. Reported by Forbes in early 2023, the average white woman earns just 82 cents for every dollar a man earns. It is even less for women of color with African American women earning 60 cents and Latina women earning 55 cents for every dollar a man makes. This is just one example of the unfair treatment of women.

Women still undergo bias and the constant threat from men whether it is physical or mental. The simple fact is that women are not an object or a toy but in fact a human just like men. Women have proved time and time again that they have hearts and souls as well as ambition and strength just like men. They are slowly paving the way for change and a better future, but is it enough?  How long will it take for things to change for the better and forever?

Overall, our society must unlearn the ways of unequal treatment of the genders that were set for us by our predecessors. We must challenge the boundaries and traditions of the patriarchal way of thinking. We must see that women are just as capable as men, if not more so. It is not to learn but to unlearn.