The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Schools Up
School's Up
May 15, 2024

Teachers After Dark: McGregor

Geometry and Pre College-Algebra Prep teacher Sean McGregor uses his after school free time to build three dimensional shapes from origami paper. The shapes he makes are called buckyballs, which are shapes that are cage-like and have a fused-ring structure of twenty hexagons and twelve pentagons. McGregor uses the shapes that he makes to show his students a representation for 3-D objects in his classes.

From new configurations in rocket ships and stealth bombers to nanotechnology, math dimensions are prominent throughout our planet.  “Our world is defined by this stuff,” said McGregor.

McGregor has always had a unique relationship with shapes and an inclination for a better understanding of how the world around him worked through numbers. He wants to get his PHD in math so that he can be a professor and he hopes that one day he can come up with his own unique shape.

Until then, McGregor is happy to create his buckyballs and show his beautiful creations to his students and display his works of art, for that is truly what they are, to anyone interested in math models.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Ball Street Journal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Ball High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.