The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Schools Up
School's Up
May 15, 2024

Ball High Choir: Singing Songs of Past, Present, and Future

“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything,” said Greek philosopher Plato. This timeless assertion remains tried and true in our modern reality; as within an increasingly fragmented society, music serves as a universal language, reminding us of our shared humanity. Within the confines of our school’s walls, Ball High Choir embodies these very principles, striving to give wings to the mind and soul to the universe through their musical endeavors.

Ball High Choir was established in 1954, seeking to foster artistic expression within the Ball High community. Today, under leadership of dedicated (as well as grammy-nominated) director Larrian Menifee, the choir continues to exhibit these ideals and provide a haven for all participating students, fostering limitless creative expression.

Ava Cruz, Ball High senior and choir secretary stated, “I am very grateful for choir and feel as though it became a part of my school life in ways that I never imagined it could’ve. We’ve been able to participate in a handful of public events and given the opportunity to touch lives through a common appreciation for music.”

In addition to encouraging a sense of community through artistic collaboration and the uplifting of fellow students, Ball High Choir further strengthens its community bonds through exciting group trips, rewarding the dedicated and hardworking students within its core. Just this past December, the choir traveled to Austin, TX for their third annual Texas capital performance.

Choir director Larrian Menifee asserted “These trips are a great way to build relationships and stronger senses of unity within the group, promote and attract traction to the choir, and give students opportunities and experiences they may not otherwise have had.”

This Austin trip was an educational and enriching experience for all those involved, not just making deeper connections within the choir, but promoting the choir beyond the boundaries of our small island.

Saturday February 17th, 19 choir students made Ball High history, becoming the largest group of soloists from Ball High to advance to state in UIL solo/ensemble. These students include Danyti Allen, Briana Alonzo, Vincent Barber, Timothy Brown, Lydia Campbell, Vienna Cheney, Morgan Glynn, Everett Guajardo, Kelsey Jones-Metz, Hogan Lanier, Brandyn Lemelle, Rebecca Lopez, Alicia Manzanares, Danny Marks, Ryan McCleland, Ava Moore, Bella Ortiz-Elmore, Caleb Partipillo, and Jadan Zamora. These students will be visiting a familiar friend, with the state evaluation being held on May 25, in Austin, Texas. Go Tors!

By embracing the past, present, and future of their wonderful program, Ball High Choir has become a cornerstone of our school’s identity. The choir is filled with hardworking students and faculty who make it what it is, a shining example of the positive impact music has on individuals and, furthermore, society as a whole. By embodying Plato’s timeless beliefs, and striving towards a radiant, melodic future; Ball High Choir enriches the human experience, giving charm, gaiety, and life to everything.