The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Boys’ Basketball Runs Deep into the Playoffs

The Ball High Tors Basketball Team (23-10 overall, and 10-2 in district) made it to playoffs, and lasted three rounds, which hasn’t been done in years! Head Coach Jerald Temple assessed his team’s year.

“We started off on a hot streak in November and then cooled off a bit in late December,” Temple said. “Now we have hit our stride again and are clicking on all cylinders.  At the moment, the Tors are District Champions, Bi-District Champions and Area Champions.  A win tonight against Port Arthur Memorial will make us Regional Quarterfinal Champions.  This has been a rewarding season as the players have reached new heights as they continue their playoff push.”

The boys’ first playoff game was against the Goose Creek Memorial Patriots at Pasadena High School. The boys played a hard game, going neck and neck with the Patriots. The game went into overtime, but with the Tors determination to not give up, they were able to take the win home, which was the first playoff win in 13 years. Some honorable players of this game were Taj Petteway, Jonah Williams, and Phoenix Pope. Taj Petteway scored 28 points and had eight rebounds. Jonah Williams scored 14 points and had nine rebounds. Phoenix Pope scored nine points and seven rebounds.

The Tors’ hard work paid off and they rolled into round two of the playoffs! The boys’ second playoff game, round two was against Fulshear High School at Shadow Creek High School. The boy’s defense was on fire tonight! With Jonah Williams and Saiaiki Jones’ defense against Fulshear, the boys were able to take the win home.

Coach Temple says that “Collectively, as a team, they all played great defense, but Jonah played great defense. He always ignites our defense. Saiaiki Jones is a beast in there, too.”. With this win, it led to round three of the playoffs against Port Arthur at Channelview High School. This by far was the hardest match of the season. The Tors played a hard game, and with Jonah Williams sidelined by technical fouls in the previous game, the Tors fought hard to take the win home but lost by a score of 38-50. Congratulations on a great season!