The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Schools Up
School's Up
May 15, 2024

Cell Phones Continue to be a Problem in Schools

I believe students shouldn’t have cellphones in school, or at least in class. Yes, sometimes we need them, but they should be in backpack until teachers allow them out and on your desk. Cell phones have become a major problem in schools, to the point where students can’t live without them. A work for that is “Nomophobia.” Students don’t like it whe4n their phones are taken away, but they always have them out when not necessary.

Phones are usually very distracting and disturb your mental health. Students always keep their phones out and never do their work, which disturbs their learning. Cell phones are draining students and their minds. Cell phones have become so big of a problem, they get taken up if you have them in class. You even have to pay a fee to get them back. Some fees are around $15, but some fines can be even more severe.  Working on putting phones away has become a major problem. Students proceed to keep their phones out when not asked. Teachers constantly ask for them to be put away, and phones stay out.

Also, students like to cheat on tests and worksheets with phones. In 2009 there was research stating that 35% of students use their phone to cheat on tests. Additionally, 41% of students use their phones to store notes on their phones, same as the 46% of students who like to text their friends for answer. Those percentages have grown wildly, as we continue to get more apps that give students the chance to cheat on assignments. Cell phones have become a struggle that we still deal with today.