The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Non-profit Assists Maui Survivors

On August 8th, 2023, four deadly fires broke out in Maui, Hawaii and burned until August 27th, 2023. The fires killed over 100 people and left many missing and without housing.  Valley Global, a non-profit 501c3 founded by Michael Peden seeks to provide environmental education to work towards sustainable development goals globally. The organization aids disaster relief in areas affected by natural disasters.  

Stationed in Lahaina, Hawaii, Valley Global helped Maui after the disastrous fire that burned the once beautiful site to ash. Their efforts have included giving food and clothing to people, offering medical assistance and shelter, and giving supplies to those affected by the fire. 

The Maui community received an outpouring of donations and help from many people around the world. Uncle George Kahumoku Jr. has been a huge help to others by donating fresh produce from his own farm. Other organizations have given grants to Valley Global to help continue their efforts.  

The alleged cause of the fire was “intentional and malicious” mismanagement of power lines by Hawaiian Electric. The Fire Relief Housing Program offers displaced families a place to stay with little to no rent or fees due to buildings and living facilities burnt to ash.  

It will take Maui a long time to fully recover from this, but efforts from locals and people nationwide, the long road to recovery will be worth the wait to get the sacred land back to normal.