The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Gun Control, Out of Control

Gun control is a worldwide issue with explosive consequences. It is the most emotional and controversial issue being discussed all over the planet right now. The use of firearms has caused many problems and an incredible number of deaths, but there are benefits from proper gun control.

The gun control dilemma has taken an unexpected turn over the years: school shootings are not what most Americans grew up with in this country. I feel guns should not be prohibited for law abiding citizens, but there needs to be some fundamental controls over the weapons and who can have them.

There have been 53 school shootings thus far in 2023. 2021 (73) and 2022 (79) have the highest numbers in shootings since 2008. Since the terrible tragedy that occurred in Columbine over 356,000 children have been mentally and physically traumatized by worldwide mass school shootings. Uvalde wouldn’t have happened if gun control laws addressed the problem of weapons of war in civilian hands.

In Washington State on Tuesday April 25, 2023, Jay Inslee signed the Senate Bill 5078, which makes sure firearm manufacturers and sellers will face consequences if they fail to adopt and implement reasonable controls to prevent sales to dangerous individuals. ¨Inaction against gun violence is unacceptable. ¨ Inslee told reporters after signing the legislative package.

President Biden believes in stiffening background checks to buy guns so we can minimize tragedies. Biden quotes ¨Do something. Do something big. I’m determined to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines¨.

I agree with President Biden that something needs to be done.  Even though we live in the Wild West of Texas, a place dear to our hearts, we need some controls to keep these killing machines out of the hands of children and the mentally disturbed.