The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Chicago to Resettle Migrants

Carpenter, Thomas

Due to the declining population of St. Louis, the state of Missouri has reached out to the city of Chicago to resettle homeless migrants in St. Louis. By doing this, it will diminish the number of homeless and unemployed people in Chicago and increase the population and people in the workforce in Missouri, becoming a win-win situation for both states.  

“If the [migrants] are going to be in a better place, St. Louis is going to be in a better place, and Chicago is going to be in a better place, I think everybody wins.” said Karlos Ramirez, the vice president of the International Institute for the Latino outreach program.  

This program is run mostly by donations from private donors who are in favor of this innovative idea. The migrants would be provided with three months of housing, phones, and job placements from local unions, and immigration assistance from lawyers at no cost to them.  

There are beds and apartments ready for the first eight migrants who will arrive immediately, provided by the International Institute. The people who are leading this program are “being cautious and strategically intentional. I [Ramirez] want to be careful not to all of a sudden get an onslaught of homeless [migrants] from Chicago and then create a homeless situation in St. Louis.”  

If the states continue with this program, it will only benefit those who are involved, and help control the population of the United States to stay even and steady.