The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Wounded Vet Gets New Gig

Carpenter, Thomas

After a rocket attack in eastern Ukraine, Rambo, a 3-year-old German Shepherd, neared the end of his career. He suffered injuries to his head and was rushed to emergency surgery, where doctors said they could not guarantee that he would live. Shrapnel from the rocket ravaged the right side of Rambo’s face, damaged his jaw, and mangled his right ear.  

Before his injuries, Rambo assisted the Ukrainian soldiers at war, standing with them in the front line. Despite what happened, he survived emergency surgery and has received a position in the Hungarian Police Department as part of the departments Dog Squad. Rambo assists in tasks to help the crime prevention program, and even teaches the public to be kinder to people who are different from one another.  

He now interacts with children, adults, and disabled individuals through police demonstrations and rehab institutions, and teaches kids to be more tolerant and to respect others who are different from them.  

Maria Stein, Lieutenant Colonel at the Budapest Metropolitan Police Department, stated that “With Rambo, we might be able to sensitize these children a little and show them that, yes, he is injured, he’s different, but he can do the same things as other dogs. “