The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Kelso’s Historical Tours

Many schools in Texas have specialty courses, but none can match the opportunities and history that Ball High School provides its students. Whether its following Greek Mythology, Art, Or Media Analysis, there is a surplus of options for students who have gaps in their schedule.  

One class that shines through is Mr. Kelso’s and Mr. McCarley’s Galveston History class. This class is a semester long and takes field trips all around the island to teach the students of Ball High the deep and long history of Galveston Island. Some notable places the group has already visited are Fort Travis, Scottish Rite Historic Building, Port of Galveston, and The Grand Opera House. 

Although all the trips so far have been very thrilling, and the prospect of missing school is a bonus for students, there have been some unexpected situations that pop up that disrupted the smooth flow of the tours. For example, when the class went to Broadway Historical Cemeteries the large crowd and one tour guide made it hard to hear and understand what we were being taught. Another factor that must be taken under consideration is the weather and outside forces beyond the control of Mr. Kelso, like crazy drivers and long lines at the ferry.  

On our trip to Fort Travis, the searing heat plus a very prevalent mosquito population made it feel like the field trip was taking place in Dante’s Inferno and would never end. And although those are events and circumstances Mr. Kelso cannot control, I’m sure many students wish he could because it would only enhance the incredible experience that we’re enjoying on these tours around Galveston Island! 

Places 

– Bishops Palace 
– Moody Mansion 
– Fort Travis 
– Broadway Historical Cemeteries 
– Scottish Rite Historic Building 
– 1894 Grand Opera House 
– Port of Galveston 

Places left to go: 
– Seaport Museum 
– Historic Tall Ship Elissa 
– Downtown Church tour 
– Dickens on the Strand 
– Fort San Jacinto