The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

The Case of the Century

Gyspy Rose Blanchard, born July 27th, 1991, has been the center of the criminal world for some time now. But for reasons that are bizarre to people who do not know about her.

Growing up, Gypsy was manipulated and abused into having numerous amounts of illnesses that she really did not have. Her mother, Dee Dee Blanchard, was making up lies and forging fake medical documents to show how her daughter, Gypsy, was actually sick. She was believed to have leukemia, muscular dystrophy, seizures, asthma, an assortment of allergies, and visual and hearing impairments. Her mother also told people she was mentally impaired, having the mind of a seven-year-old. None of this is true, but Gypsy was too young to understand. Not only did she medically abuse her child, Dee Dee also would physically abuse her by hitting her, tying her to the bed so she could not misbehave or act out, and starve her.

Dee Dee forced Gypsy to use a wheelchair, have a feeding tube, take unnecessary medications, and undergo medical procedures which she did not need. For a long time, Gypsy did not know her real age because her mother would change the date she was born to have more control of her as she got older.

Since she was so sheltered growing up, she did not have many friends, let alone a phone or computer. In her teenage years, she was experiencing more things of her age, and all she wanted was a friend to talk to. This is when she bought a computer without her mother’s knowledge and started talking to people online. She then met Nick Godejohn, who would soon be the reason she escaped her abusive household.

After talking to Nick for some time, they produced the plan to Get rid of her mother for good. On June 9th, 2015, Dee Dee Blanchard was killed in her home in the night hours. Gypsy and Nick ran away, but were soon caught not long after. They were both sentenced to prison, Gypsy with 10 years, Nick with a life sentence.

On December 28th, 2023, Gypsy Rose Blanchard-Anderson was released from prison, having served 85% of her sentence and was released on parole. She was released early and given less time than Nick because her sentence was charged with second-degree murder, having only brought up the idea while Nick was the actual one to kill her mother.

She is now married and is sharing her story to bring awareness of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy in hopes of saving children from the hell she was given her entire life. Her story is one that everyone should know about because the more awareness brought up to cases like these, it will give more people the courage to speak up for themselves.

This is only part of her story, if you would like to know more, I highly recommend you do more research.

If you or someone you know is being abused or is suspected to be abused, the national Domestic Violence Abuse hotline is 800-799-7233. If there is an active threat to you or someone else, call 911 for immediate assistance. You are not alone. If someone is mistreating you, whether it is your family, spouse, or a friend, do not be afraid to speak up. Speaking up could save someone’s life, it could save your life too.