The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Changing the Paradigm

As a woman, people find it quite surprising when they learn that women are participating in “masculine” activities, even becoming coaches in the NFL and NBA. It’s something that isn’t as normalized as it should be, and it’s rare to find someone like Ms. Fuller, nee Madalyn Moriarity, aka “Ms. Mo”, changing the narrative.

Though born in Texas and not on the bayous of Louisiana, Ms. Fuller has enjoyed her chosen hobby of hunting prey and fishing for around seven years. She does offshore fishing, mostly for snappers, tile fish, and groupers. Usually when she hunts, it’s for duck and deer only.

“I guess I’ve always been interested in it, but I didn’t have the equipment until I met my husband for access to it”, Fuller said. The guns and equipment she uses are a 12-gauge shotgun for ducks, and a .308 rifle for deer. “The best time of the year to duck hunt is during teal season, which is the middle two weeks of September. In November is when big duck season starts, and that runs all the way until January,” Fuller said.

Another notable thing Fuller does is host an annual women’s duck hunting venue every year because she enjoys hunting with other women. She also does this so women can feel free to do things that they love, without feeling judged.

She gathers about ten women, plans a trip to hunt, hires a guide to help with the heavy lifting and duck identification, as they are professionals. Turns out, she’s inspired many of her friends to pick up duck hunting as a new hobby due to the hunting trips.