The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Schools Up
School's Up
May 15, 2024

Kai Jankowiak: Ball Swimmer of the Decade

Kai began swimming for Ball his freshman year and was the only one on his team to qualify for regionals with the events 50 Free and 100 Breaststroke. Going into his sophomore year, Kai steadily improved and broke his first record, the 100 freestyle. He advanced to Regionals again, this time with his relay and the girl’s relay.

His junior year was when things really started to change, his improvement wasn’t moving steadily along like before, it skyrocketed. He joined a club team off the island and dropped insane amounts of time and smashed even more Ball High records, almost effectively covering the whole record board with his name, Kai Jankowiak.

Advancing to regionals once more, he qualified for State Championships as a callup for the 50 and 100 free and ranked 8th in the state. Now Kai is in his senior year and still improving, getting better with every practice and meet he attends. Coach Godfrey is excited to see his success.

Kai did great at regionals and advanced to states, ranked 4th and 5th in his races in the state. Kai was able to drop time on both his 50 free and 100 free and ended off his senior year with a plethora of broken school records and a legacy that would be hard to surpass for future ball high swimmers.