The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

The Micro-Monsters

The+Micro-Monsters

In a groundbreaking study, researchers have discovered alarming evidence of microplastics contaminating every aspect of our lives. These tiny plastic particles, the size of less than 5mm (about 0.2 in), have been found in many everyday items, raising concerns about their potential impact on human health and environment.

Microplastics begin their journey on land but are eventually carried by rivers and the wind into the world’s ocean. Thus, leading them to contaminate our environment. These particles can accumulate in the bodies of marine life, potentially entering the food chain and posing risks to human health.

Scientists have found that the average American takes in 52,000 microplastics per year along with the highest protein consumers taking in as many as 3.8 million plastic fragments and fibers. Additionally, microplastic have been found to release harmful chemicals when ingested, further adding to the concerns.

According to Ali Francis of Bon Appetit “Other studies have found microplastics in beer, wines with polyethylene stoppers, rice, table salts, and honey. Microplastics can even be found in fruits and vegetables—like apples, broccoli, and carrots—with plants able to absorb nano plastics through their root systems. And plastic tea bags are leaching billions of particles every time you make a cup of Earl Gray.”

Researchers and environmental organizations are now calling for increased awareness and action to address this issue. Efforts are being made to reduce plastic waste, improve waste management systems, and develop new technologies to remove microplastics from water sources.

It is important for individuals to play their part too. People can make a difference by reducing their use of single use plastics, recycling properly, and supporting initiatives that promote sustainable practices. By working together, we can help minimize the presence of microplastics and protect our planet for future generations.

“Our study is the first indication that we have polymer particles in our blood – it’s a breakthrough result.”

According to the website Plastic Oceans “the proliferation of plastic products in the last several decades has been extraordinary. Quite simply, humans are addicted to this nearly indestructible material. We produce over 380 million tons of plastic every year, and some reports indicate that up to 50% of that is for single-use purposes – utilized for just a few moments, but on the planet for at least several hundred years. It’s estimated that more than 10 million tons of plastic is dumped into our oceans every year.”