The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Unreal Museum Comes to Life

This museum that looks like it should be out of a comic book, floats on a lake in the shape of a seven-point metallic star. The Chengdu Science Fiction Museum is in the capital of the Sichuan province in China.  

The architecture of this museum is made to look like mountains from the roof, and clouds from a different angle. Paulo Flores, one of the designers for the project, explains: “From every angle, it will always look different; it will always look unusual or unexpected,”  

This project should have taken four to five years to complete but was finished within a year. The museum helped the city of Chengdu become a larger “Future City” which is defined as “a car-free masterplan for the capital of China’s Sichuan province designed by architecture studio OMA to focus on the site’s existing geography and topography.” according to Dezeen.com. 

Chengdu has grown as a city and is even known as “Chengdu Future Science and Technology City.”  

Ohashi, part of the project design, explained that “part of that growth is also this attention to the future, science and technology, integrating that into the city, and growing that economy.” The city is the birthplace is the Science Fiction World, which is one of the most famous Sci-Fi magazines.  

The Science Fiction Museum was opened in October 2023, and will benefit the city and the 16.33 million people who live there due to the relevance it is bringing to the city’s worth.