The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Ball High vs. La Porte: A Win for the Tors

Boys Shoot for the Playoffs

The Ball High Tors, hungry for a win, played the La Porte Bulldogs on January 12th. The Tors were coming from a hard loss against the Manvel Mavericks. If you weren’t at the game, you missed out on an amazing game against the La Porte Bulldogs.

Starting strong, the Tors were up 8-4 in the first two minutes of the game. As the first quarter ran down, the Bulldogs started to catch up to the Tors, and with only seconds to spare, the Bulldogs grabbed the lead until Alejandro Hernandez scored a buzzer beater, making the first quarter score 15-14. Two minutes into the second quarter, La Porte took the lead 17-21, but the Tors took control, ending the second quarter with a two-point lead, 29-27.

The Tors and the Bulldogs traded buckets in the third quarter, but once again the Tors maintained their lead, ending the third quarter 42-39. The fourth quarter turned into a real slugfest between the two teams.

During the last two minutes of the fourth quarter, the Tors were up by two, 50-48. Tensions ran high among the Tors throughout this quarter, the burning question, will the Tors pull together to get this win?

The Tors trailed by one with one minute and 23 seconds left on the clock.  With seconds left, Taj Petteway scores a layup and a free throw, tying up the game 53-53. The boys were playing a tight game. La Porte upped the Tors by two points with seconds to spare, then Jonah Williams scored a dunk on the La Porte Bulldogs, which tied the score 55-55. With only three seconds left on the clock, Williams attempted a half-court shot, but failed to score, which led to overtime.

Starting the overtime, Laporte fouled Taj Petteway while shooting. Pettaway missed the first foul shot, but hit the second, making the score 56-55. Phoenix Pope followed with two free throws. Laporte shot a pair of free throws, giving La Porte the lead by one point, 56-57. Another foul by La Porte and Jonah Williams hit two free throws, giving Ball a one-point lead, 58-57.

London, number 12 made a layup making the score 60 to 57 with two minutes and 30 seconds to spare. Another foul and Petteway sank two free-throws, pushing the score 62 to 57. The Bulldogs hit a free throw before Pettaway scored on a layup with only one minute and 30 seconds on the clock, making the score 64 to 58.

Laporte sank a free throw to close with four, 64 to 60.  Phoenix Pope hit two free throws, and that’s the game, 66-60. The Tors played a rough game and left with a W. Congratulations and good job Ball High Basketball Boys!