The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

You’ve Been Dress-Coded and Never Knew It

If you’re familiar with shopping or wearing clothes, then you probably are aware of the current fashion trends of our generation. However, just because something is trendy, does not necessarily mean it’s a look (hint hint – mullets). While some of the recent fashion trends are cute, I’m a believer that some pieces are meant to stay in the decade they hearth from … (I’m talking to you, low-rise denim skirts). So, let’s cry together as we dive into the atrociously trendy clothes that have come and gone throughout 2023, and pray that we forget some of them.

Mullets & Rat Tails Belong in the 80s

While these specific hair trends have dissipated within the last few months, I still think it’s important to not forget that people actually asked for this haircut. I do agree that this specific style of mullets and rat tails do bring some nostalgic, Stranger Things-esque to the fashion world, but no. Just no. They should’ve stayed in the 80s where they died and never should’ve been resurrected. They make your hair never look clean, they’re always cut unevenly, they’re too long to be attractive (anything below the nape of your neck is an absolute no), and if you have a mullet or rat tail, just know you’re a walking red flag.

Maxi Skirts + Denim = Style

I’m not sure about you, but I have personally seen a sudden surge in girls wearing maxi skirts – a fashion choice that I myself follow. However, last year when I wore long skirts, people often looked at me as if I was in a straitjacket. But obviously, this year is different; I’ve seen at least 30% of the girls in these halls wear long skirts, with the most popular choice being long denim skirts. While the denim can be heavy and contain heat fairly easily, the surge in long denim skirts is definitely a cozy trend that makes all of those problems dissipate. The maxi skirt silhouette itself gives off a comfortable and casual feeling, while the denim fabric makes the skirt more of an everyday kind of look. Long denim skirts are a trend I can get behind, and I suggest it’s a trend you should try at some point too!

Have You Really Been Dress-Coded?

No, you haven’t. Now although I made my opinions well known in this article, my voice is definitely not the one of reason. Everyone should freely express themselves through clothing, hair, shoes, etc. These are just my opinions on some current fashion trends, and after all, they are just opinions. If any of the listed topics are or aren’t your style, then feel free to counter my thoughts; maybe your style is actually a hundred times better than mine. Nevertheless, fashion is something that is tailored to your personality, regardless of if it’s trendy or not.