The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Republicans Versus Drugs, Who Will Win?

Donald Trump, 2024 presidential candidate, has made the bright decision that he wants to bomb the drug cartels to supposedly “stem the flood of the cheap and potent synthetic opioid fentanyl into the United States.”  

Should they do this, we would be looking at mass casualties due to the reasonable concern that the heavily armed cartel leaders would retaliate and fire back on American soil.  

According to an anonymous U.S military officer who has dealt with issues in Mexico before, “You send over a SEAL team. You take out a cartel leader. Okay, now who’s in charge? This could create the blowback effect of fracturing the cartels,” Basically, by taking out the head members of dangerous gangs and drug cartels, that will only lead to angered members who will become sneaky and end up doing more bad than good, not including the fact that they will be harder to control.  

From machine guns to rocket launchers, Mexico could destroy parts of America if cross border raids start. “This is just a much more sophisticated enforcement problem than I think a lot of people understand,” said Earl Anthony Wayne, a former U.S. ambassador to Mexico, according to Reuters.com.  

If the cartels were to get bombed, and hypothetically the borders made it harder for drugs to get smuggled through, this will only create more danger for America, and deadly drugs infecting the borders. Take something away from people, and they will only get smarter and more dangerous with how they operate.