The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Ball High Blown Away in Rifle Contest

J. L. Mann Academy shot the highest score for this season at 821.3 points, ambushing Ball High AJROTC. Alexis Rogers, leader of the Mann Academy AJROTC, shot a score of 215.4.  

Kirk Tower coached the other members, Leland Cawrse, DeShanti Black, and Maggie Davis, who are from Greenville, South Carolina.  

Ranked in 26th place with a 1-1 record, J. L. Mann Academy AJROTC competed in the Elite Division. In the Army JROTC Conference, they are ranked in 10th place.  

Ball High AJROTC, coached by Mark Knight, also competed in the Elite Division and ranked 32nd place with a 0-2 record.  

J. L. Mann Academy will next compete against the San Antonio Clark AFJROTC, who currently has a 2-0 record. Ball High AJROTC will compete against Central Arkansas Hawkeyes from Conway, Arkansas, who currently has a 0-1 record.  

The National Air Rifle League is a national team league for high school teams and junior rifle clubs. It is divided into two parts; an eight-week regular season, then postseason following that. The league is sponsored by Scopos from Manassas, Virginia, maker of the Orion Scoring System, the Athena Electronic Scoring System and Rezults, the world´s first mobile- friendly result website for shooting.  

Teams compete in a three-position air rifle match modeled after Olympic rifle competitions, adapted to athletes in high school. In the competition, each athlete shoots ten shots in three different shooting positions: kneeling, prone, and standing. The shots are scored in decimals and are worth a maximum of 10.9 points. The four best athletes from each team make up the team score.  

The Champion’s Division is reserved for the top teams in the country. The top eight teams from this division will compete in a single-elimination tournament for the league championships.