The Ball Street Journal

The Student News Site of Ball High School

The Ball Street Journal

The Ball Street Journal

Schools Up
School's Up
May 15, 2024

Has the World Gone Back in Time?

An unfair world for women right now.
    Has the World Gone Back in Time?

All around the world, women and girls are discriminated against every day. It’s currently the 21st century, but women and girls around the world are still paid lower wages than men, have a greater lack of education, suffer an increase in sexual and domestic violence and are not given proper healthcare.

Women are being criticized every day on their appearance, what they wear, and their rights. Today women’s rights were diminished by the Supreme Court, which is mostly elderly white men, who decided to overturn Roe Vs. Wade. Taking something like abortion away puts more and more women at risk every day. The old white men don’t care.

Many girls from the ages of 6-17 aren’t in school around the world, and there’s an estimated 130 million girls worldwide who aren’t in school. The reason many girls aren’t enrolled in school is because they’re forced to help with housework and other time-consuming chores. Poor families usually favor their sons when it comes to investing in their education.

The world we live in today has reversed back in time. It’s an unfair world. Women and girls are learning to accept things they shouldn’t have to accept because other control our every move. We have gone back to the time of the feeling of no reassurance, a feeling where you question your safety and rights, a world where there’s always someone picking and contradicting you, and a world where you are told “you are asking for it” if you wear something “too short” or showing “too much skin”.